Scrum standup meeting, also known as daily standup meeting, in this meeting software development team gather to provide project status updates and details. They discuss about what is current status, what has to be done, what needs to be done and what are the issues in the completion of task. Theoretically, these scrum standup meetings are supposed to improve team communication and deliver a best product. Scrum standup meeting having a short time period about 15 to 30 minutes. Because the basic purpose is to communicate with project team and keep in touch with the team to make work more effective and efficient.
The basic need is that to understand team work and scrum qualities. Mostly scrum meetings get off to the topic and it takes an hour. So now it is time to move on the actual scrum meeting process. Scrum standup meetings are followed by a proper procedure. It starts with planning meeting and proceeds it further to improve system. There are different types of scrum stand-up meeting which are given below;
- Sprint Planning Meeting: Meeting starts with product owner, he/she shares his vision about the product. Then team workers decide the amount of work and make a complete planning to proceed further to get the job done.
- Daily Scrum & Sprint Execution: After planning, we move further to daily scrum stand-up meetings for a short time period every single day. Team gathers and give report to the heads and owner about how much work has done and what is next to do.
- Sprint Review Meeting: At this level of meeting required live demonstration of product to approve it or make changes or improvement.
- Sprint Retrospective Meeting: This meeting is organized for team workers to build up team in a friendly and non-judgmental environment.
- Backlog Refinement Meeting: In this type of meeting, team members focus on the quality and skill work during the whole project. With this it is important to develop a connection between business owners and team members.
Scrum stand-up meeting are mishandled by the team member and they make common mistakes to make the procedure complex. Like:
- Scrum stand-up meeting are not recorded.
- Meeting are not for micromanagement.
- Scrum meetings are not planning meeting.
- Lack of technical discussion.
Mostly scrum meetings are consisted of three questions:
- What did team accomplish yesterday?
- What is today’s task?
- What issues are facing to achieve goal?
The team members need to understand that meeting is actually check and balance on team members and to remove the hurdles and improve the efficiency of project.
There are some rules to conduct scrum meeting, which are given below:
- Every team member will be stand up so it make them physically active.
- No discussions are allowed in the meeting. Every member provides his/her work updates.
- After meeting, there is no restriction for discussion. You can discuss with other team member about your issues.
- The scrum meeting duration is maximum 15 minutes.
- Task updates should be comprehensive and concise.
- Every team member is bound to attend the meeting.
- Meeting is not mandatory for business owners. They can attend if they want to know the progress of their projects.
Scrum stand-up meeting best practices are to keep in touch with team. It is a regular routine and most of all it has become a part of daily work schedule. The purpose of these meetings are to enhance team co-ordinations and commitments. With this there is no communication gap among team. Meetings having a short time period but they determine their team to proceed further for more 24 hours. Scrum stand-up meetings require discipline, more effective software team coordination and more power to communicate with your team member. There are more scrum standup meeting best practices are given:
- Meetings should be target oriented.
- Meeting are not for solving issues.
- Should be focus on time span and make meeting short and concise.
- All team members should be on time and no delays in meetings.
- All members should be prepared for updating others about their part of work.
- Meetings should be stand up so members will be more attentive.
- Make sure that meetings should be conducted on daily basis.
Scrum meetings are best way to communicate with your software team members and make discussion on given project to achieve required goals. With these practices, any team can achieve its goals at its best.