Mail Converter can be a very powerful tool if configured properly. It is capable of creating records such as leads, contacts, organizations and tickets. In addition, it can be configured to automatically link all the correspondence(emails) between the VTiger user and lead/contact/organization. It is also widely used by support department. Mail Converter can update existing and create new tickets, add comments and trigger notifications.
In addition to all the standard VTiger Mail Converter functionality described above – we customized it to make it even more powerful. Here are a few custom rules/actions added to Mail Converter to accommodate custom business processes:
- Create Quote: The customer wanted to automatically create a quote as the email comes in. There were few special conditions, such as – who the sender/subject was and based on that – we automated quote creation from the email.
- Don’t Create Document: We added a trigger to allow the system admin to specify if the document should be uploaded to VTiger as the email is being processed. Due to the email volume, most of them have signature images, other files that shouldn’t be uploaded to the CRM – so such trigger helps to keep the database clean.
- Exclude Certain Attachments: It was an update to the one above, meaning that if the email is processed and has certain attachments, such as .gif, .ics, .rar, .html, .zip – we would not create a document record and would add those attachments to VTiger email record.
- Delete Emails: As the email gets processed by Mail Converter – the standard functionality allows the email to be set as “Read” or “Unread” – we added a third option to “Delete” the email once it has been processed.
- Link Emails to Opportunities: It’s a very common request – to associate emails to opportunities. In order to accommodate, we added email list to opportunities and customized Mail Converter to link email to the opportunity as well as the contact.
- Link Emails based on ID: An enhancement to linking to opportunities was added to accommodate email linking to multiple opportunities. We customized Mail Converter so when the email is sent from VTiger(or manually) – the opportunity ID is being put into email subject as “[POT123]” – and based on that – we automatically link all the communication between the user and the customer to appropriate opportunity,
In addition to all of the rules and actions – we also added support for custom modules in Mail Converter. These are just a few VTiger Mail Converter customizations that we we did. We understand that each business has it’s own way of doing this and if you are using VTiger and require to automate your process – mail converter would be a way to go.