Long waited vTiger CRM 5.40 Upgrade/Migration Tool to vTiger CRM 6.0 has been released. Since there’s no stable or RC version of vTiger CRM 6.0 – this migration/upgrade tool only works with the beta version. According to vTiger CRM developers, this should not be used for production and is only for testing purposes, however if you want to move quickly and can not wait for RC/Stable version – you should be able to upgrade your vTiger CRM 5.40 to vTiger CRM 6.0.
We’ve done few migrations already and it seems to be working as expected. The migration/upgrade process is quick and easy to perform, however if you don’t feel comfortable doing it – feel free to contact us and we’ll help you out.
- First and the most important step is – backups.You have to take a backup of you existing vTiger CRM database and the file structure. The way the migration/upgrade works is that it will overwrite the existing files as well as update the database, so again the backups are crucial and there’s no way to revert back from vTiger CRM 6.0 to vTiger CRM 5.4.
- The second step is download the vTiger CRM 6.0 Upgrade/Migration too. It can be downloaded from here
- Place the downloaded file into your vtigercrm directory and extract it.
- Once the extracted, open up your browser and go to http://www.yourvtiger.com/vtigercrm/migrate/index.php. (replace yourvtiger.com/vtigercrm/ with your vTiger crm host/directory).
- You should have already taken the backups, so go a head and check “I have taken the backup of the database” as well as “I have taken the backup of source code“.
- Enter your existing vTiger CRM admin password.
- Hit “Start Migration“
- It should then open a “Migration Wizard” which will replace the files and run the necessary queries to update the database. Assuming everything went well – you will be able to click “Next“.
- The final page will open up confirming successful migration, then hit “Finish” you will be redirected to your shinny new vTiger CRM 6!
There are possibility that you will run into few issues when doing the upgrade/migration to vTiger CRM 6.0. One of the possible errors are:
- “INVALID CREDENTIALS”
Make sure that you entered the existing vTiger CRM 5.4 credentials. You are not creating a new user here.
- “ERROR EXTRACTING MIGRATION ZIP FILE”
The error is not very descriptive, but what that means is that you have to set your vtigercrm folder to be writable by the web. To do so, you would set proper permissions(chmod 755-777) and the user(chown apache/www-data).
- “ERROR READING MIGRATION ZIP FILE”
Assuming you’ve proper permission – you should not run into this error, however if you do – make sure that the vtiger6.zip file in your vtigercrm/ directory can be extracted/access by webuser.
If you would like the professionals do the upgrade/migration for you – please give us a call or shoot as an email at support@VTExperts.com and we will be glad to get you up and running on vTiger CRM 6.0 in no time!